Recently, there has been a significant increase in the use of cannabis-containing products in the USA. This is mostly due to the legalization of medicinal and recreational marijuana in several US states. Components of cannabis include tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabinol (CBN). Since cannabinoids have physiological effects like psychoactive properties, a complete, proficient laboratory analysis will help ascertain the compound’s safety for consumption.
Cannabinoid testing is done for various reasons such as:
- To prevent abuse of Cannabis and ensure appropriate consumption of the prescribed quantity.
- To guide against cannabis consumption in countries where it is prohibited.
- Cannnaboid testing is also done for hospitalized patients in the psychiatric unit.
- It is used in crime investigation; like abuse and molestation.
At Synergy Bioscience, we offer cannabinoids testing to determine the quality and quantity of psychoactive contents. We leverage our vast industry experience, high-calibre professionals and state-of-the-art analytical instruments to give our clients accurate and reliable results that can be used as a reference anywhere in the world.
Our state of the art technical capabilities and lab experts can support your organization for cannabis products testing using the following technologies:
– High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
In this technique, Chromatography helps to separate the compounds of the product. We use diode array detectors (which are highly informative) to calculate the amount of contents in the cannabinoid sample after detection. The amount/quantity of each sample cannabinoid is determined by how much light it absorbs; these processes take about 5 to 20 minutes to analyze the sample.
– Liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC–MS/MS)
This technology employs a more critical approach in testing. The LC/MS device uses mass spectrometry to perform a more detailed and in-depth analysis. It pierces through the molecular ions, and you can be sure of the accuracy of the results. So, LC/MC testing services are best suitable for criminal/ forensic investigations, and for research purpose.
– Inductively Coupled Plasma – Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS/MS)
The analysis of of trace elements in cannabis, hemp, and associated products can easily be achieved using our state of the art ICP-MS. its capability enables the routine analysis of samples that contain high and variable matrix levels, while minimizing the need for conventional liquid dilution. Our state of the art ICP-MS provides a complete picture of the elements present in the sample, as data can be reported for elements not included in the calibration standards.
– Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS)
We also have the GC-MS instrument to detect any residual solvents, as a result of extracting the active compounds from the plant. Used together, mass spectrometry and gas chromatography allow for the identification of the compounds of the residual solvents at a higher resolution than analyzing the sample individually on either of these methods.
At our lab, we offer the following testing analysis:
- Mycotoxins by LC-MS/MS: Aflatoxin B1, B2, G1, G2, and Ochratoxin A
- Cannabinoid Profile/Potency by HPLC: THC, THCA, CBD, CBDA, CBG, CBN
- Terpenes by GC/MS, FID: Humulene, Limonene, Myrcene, Terpineol
- Residual Solvents by GC/MS: Acetone, Benzene, Chloroform, Ethyl Acetate, Ethyl Oxide, Pentane Propane, Toluene
- Heavy Metal Analysis by ICP/MS: Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, Mercury
- Moisture Content – Loss on Drying
- Water Activity by Water Activity Meter
- Foreign Material by Visual Inspection
- Aerobic Plate Count by Petrifilm
- Yeast and Mold by Petrifilm
- Total Coliforms by Petrifilm
- Escherichia coli by Petrifilm
- Salmonella by Petrifilm
At Synergy bioscience, you can make the most of our technical and analytical service capabilities for your cannabinoid testing. We have the best expertise in the industry to give you accurate profile analytical results. We adhere to renowned standards for drug tests such as USP/NF, EP, ACS, BP, and JP tests.